The ministry to which a person is called when he or she becomes a church usher can best be described in the following ways:
- Greet worshippers, making every attempt to help them feel welcome and at ease.
- Escort members and guests to their seats.
- Distribute materials related to the service/meeting such as bulletins, hymnals, handouts, etc.
- Receive certain offerings, delivering them promptly to the treasury department of the church.
- Maintain alertness for any emergency that may arise, relieving the need or contacting the person(s) needed to provide the proper assistance.
- Direct individuals out of the service/meeting in an orderly fashion (in most instances row by row), leaving the auditorium or room ready for the next service or meeting.